Sunday, September 30, 2007

Hormone Changes

Oh how I long for the days when I first started nursing and had no menstruation. Sometime around the 6th month mark after the birth of my daughter, my periods began again. At first they were not so "bad" now that Ella is around 10 months they began to get back to "normal" emotional mood swings, flu like symptoms, cramping, tiredness. It is time to make a plan, although my nutritional and herbal part is in balance, I was leaving out lifestyle protocols and outside environmental influences. Because after all, we are all aware that our moons occur monthly, but for some reason it is only after the fact that we find ourselves having apologizing to family members, store clerks, and anyone else we decided to do a Jeckle and Hide on during that pre-menstrual week. Doing some research I have found a rather remarkable article that suggests that your partner may be contributing to your symptoms of PMS, astonishing.......read on. The article 'men to blame for PMS' quotes:

Caring partners can help ease the symptoms, but unsympathetic men make matters worse.

"What actually causes the symptoms is a combination of factors - what's happening in your body and what's happening in the environment.

"Men certainly play a significant role in PMS and can play a very significant role in women's depression and anger at that time of the cycle."

So Here is my plan of action for the following month.

* Disclaimer: I am in the midst of hormonal changes, if the following seems insensitive, bitchy, unprofessional, or whatever- I would suggest not emailing me about it (especially if you are male and don't get it) Yes my husband has read this and no he does not give a sh@#. On the other hand, if you are a male that does "get it" email away and I will be sure and forward the tips to my husband and anyone else who is interested.

Lifestyle Protocol

1. Get the irritating stimulus (It or Them) out of your life for a few days. I gave this a lot of thought, as convenient as it is to be reminded by my husband or relatives that your period must be arriving (or here), I decided a calender will do just fine thank you.
2. Have partner read "Men to Blame For PMS" I found this article quite convenient, I know I shouldn't blame others for my own reactions and problems, but if after 8 years my husband "gets it" it's worth a try.
3. Review my pocket handbook "what to do when you feel like strangling someone"
4. Give my partner a handy "what to do and how to do it" list, it seems unfortunately my husband has had a case of amnesia when it comes to housework, cooking, cleaning, or helping with the baby. He does miraculously remember how to watch football and change the channel- interesting.
5. Give my partner coping skills in the week prior to PMS, Here are some helpful hints (author unknown)

DANGEROUS: What's for dinner?
SAFER: Can I help you with dinner?
SAFEST: Where would you like to go for dinner?
ULTRASAFE: Here, have some chocolate.

DANGEROUS: Are you wearing that?
SAFER: Gee, you look good in brown.
SAFEST: WOW! Look at you!
ULTRASAFE: Here, have some chocolate.

DANGEROUS: What are you so worked up about?
SAFER: What did I do wrong?
SAFEST: Here's fifty dollars.
ULTRASAFE: Here, have some chocolate.

DANGEROUS: Should you be eating that?
SAFER: You know, there are a lot of apples left.
SAFEST: Can I get you a glass of wine with that?
ULTRASAFE: Here, have some chocolate.

DANGEROUS: What did you do all day?
SAFER: I hope you didn't overdo it today.
SAFEST: I've always loved you in that robe!
ULTRASAFE: Here, have some more chocolate.

13 Things PMS Stands For:
1. Pass My Shotgun
2. Psychotic Mood Shift
3. Perpetual Munching Spree
4. Puffy Mid-Section
5. People Make me Sick
6. Provide Me with Sweets
7. Pardon My Sobbing
8. Pimples May Surface
9. Pass My Sweatpants
10. Pissy Mood Syndrome
11. Plainly; Men Suck
12. Pack My Stuff...... ..And my favorite one...
13. Potential Murder Suspect

Another thing to giggle about... My husband, not happy
with my mood swings, bought me a mood ring the other
day so he would be able to monitor my moods. When I'm
in a good mood, it turns green. When I'm in a bad
mood, it leaves a big red mark on his forehead. Maybe
next time he'll buy me diamonds.

Here have some chocolate.

Author Unkown

6. Schedule a spa weekend during PMS


No comments: